When planning a sit-down reception in a marquee or tipi, there are few key practical things to consider. Following our essential tips will ensure a nice and smooth planning process for you, as well as getting the most out of your space inside (and out) of your tent!
1. Have an approximate number of guests in mind.
2. Do you want a dance floor? If yes, do you want it inside the marquee, or outside under the stars? Consider the same for your DJ or band, too.
3.Think about any additional extras you may want like a bar, additional relaxed lounges, or a photo booth, and whether you'd like these situated inside or outside.
4. Table styles - have a look into the different styles of tables that out there and which ones take your fancy. You'll also want to think about whether you would like a seperate bridal party table or not. We love long tables inside our tents for sit-down events. We think they are the most efficient use of the space, while still ensuring an intimate and inclusive vibe for all!
5. Depending on the size and dimensions of your tables, this will alter the capacity and layout inside your marquee. This is an important detail that we like to be filled in on before we help you with your floor plan!
6. Practicality is important, so we always want to make sure you've thought about the space between each row of tables. There is nothing worse than being stuck in your seat all night because you can't move! We find 2 to 3 rows of long tables works best, depending on number of guests and size of tables you opt for.
7. You will need a little bit of extra lighting for a sit-down meal inside a marquee. We love some moody lighting, and we can set you up with festoon + fairy lights, as well as our 'up-lights' that will give that little bit of extra visibility for your guests, without sacrificing that moody aesthetic!
8. Think about the style of dining you would like. Share plates in the middle of the tables? Or, something a little more traditional with a 3-course meal served to you. Your caterer should be flexible and able to accommodate whichever style you are after!
We highly recommend taking the above into account when you start your planning. Sit-down receptions are definitely a one-of-a-kind experience in a marquee or tipi, so you want to make sure you've thought about all of the practical details before getting onto the fun stuff (and also just as important!) like styling and florals.